- We are researchers developing a free online tool for schools to use as part of their assessment of needs for EAL children.
- The tool consists of an online questionnaire (for parents to fill in) and an automatic report generator, which can be used to draw a language profile of individual EAL children.
- The project is now at the validation stage: we need to collect data from many monolingual and bilingual children between the ages of 5 and 9 to inform the calculations for the automatic report generator.
- Emailing a call for the study to parents.
- Providing a quiet space to test pupils.
- Completing the online Q-Bex questionnaire about their child’s language experience.
- Signing participation consent for their child.
Completing a series of language and cognitive tasks presented as games over two 45-minute sessions.
- £5 book voucher per participating pupil.
- Individual reports about pupils’ language profiles.
February – April 2022